In honor of the late Danielle Basford, a 2012 graduate of the program, Writing Seminars senior majors are invited to submit a short story (no excerpts, please) for the Danielle Alyse Basford Writing Prize. Please read Danielle’s book, The Cat in the Jacket.
Length: Fifteen pages maximum, double-spaced
Entries will be judged by the Basford family. The winner will receive $1,000.
The department would like to publish the winning story on our website. Please indicate if you do not want your story posted.
Stories should be emailed to email@example.com in a PDF or Microsoft Word format.
Deadline – March 19, 2019.
- 2019 – “What Happened To Me In My Own Words” by Natalie Wallington.
- 2018 – “Slip of the Mind” by Kailyn Fiocca.
Prior to 2018, the award was given annually to the student writer with the most compelling piece of science-fiction/fantasy writing.
- 2017 – “Gilese 3005” by Michael Gentile
- 2016 – An Excerpt from Annabelle and the Spider King by Lydia Youngman
- 2015 – “From the Mouths of Babes” by Kat Lewis
- 2014 – “Plainhaven” by Cecilia Mancuso
- 2013 – “Bushmeat” by Jonathan Engelberg