Requirements for the Major in Writing Seminars
- Introduction to Fiction and Poetry I and Introduction to Fiction and Poetry II.
- Four semesters of English literature. Expository Writing will not fulfill this requirement, though Introduction to Literary Studies is accepted. Students may fulfill some of these requirements with literature courses offered by other departments with advisor’s approval.
- Two semesters in the Department of Philosophy. Either Philosophic Classics or Introduction to Moral Philosophy are excellent places to begin. Philosophy courses offered by other departments may be used with an adviser’s approval.
- Two semesters in the Department of History. One course from History of Art or from History of Science and Technology maybe used to fulfill this requirement. History courses offered by other departments may be used with an adviser’s approval.
- Demonstrated competence in a foreign language through the intermediate level. Language waivers are granted by the language departments and should be delivered to the Registrar’s Office for recording.
- Writing Seminars courses may not be used to fulfill any of the above requirements.
Advanced Work Within the Major
- One semester of Introduction to Fiction
- One semester of Introduction to Poetry
- One semester of fiction at the 300-400 level
- One semester of poetry at the 300-400 level
- Majors are encouraged take at least one Readings course, preferably in the discipline to be studied in the advanced writing workshop.
- Either the Advanced Fiction or the Advanced Poetry Workshop.
- Three elective semesters beyond IFP within the department. Any Writing Seminars 200-level or higher course may be used to fulfill this requirement.