- Introduction to Fiction and Poetry I and Introduction to Fiction and Poetry II.
- Four courses of English literature.
- Expository Writing will not fulfill this requirement, though Introduction to Literary Studies is accepted. Students may fulfill some of these requirements with literature courses offered by other departments with advisor’s approval.
- Two courses in philosophy. It is recommended that one course be a Philosophy Department introductory course.
- Two courses in history. Majors are encouraged to take one history survey course in the History Department. May include one course from History of Art or from History of Science and Technology.
- Foreign language proficiency through the second semester of the intermediate level is required. Language waivers are granted by the language departments and should be delivered to the Registrar’s Office for recording.
- Writing Seminars courses may not be used to fulfill any of the above requirements.
Philosophy and history courses offered by other departments may be used with an adviser’s approval.
Advanced Work Within the Major
- One course of Introduction to Fiction
- One course of Introduction to Poetry
- One course of fiction at the 300-400 level
- One course of poetry at the 300-400 level
- Majors are encouraged take at least one Readings course, preferably in the discipline to be studied in the advanced writing workshop.
- Either the Advanced Fiction or the Advanced Poetry Workshop.
- Three elective courses beyond IFP within the department. Any Writing Seminars 200-level or higher course may be used to fulfill this requirement.